Monday, March 13, 2006

A pre-emptive strike

So I was wrong about yesterdays WBC classic. Turns out it was on ESPN2 and I'm an idiot. Or, it turns out that I'm just a very Clairevoyant. Tonight: USA vs Korea, Played at 10ET, tape delayed and shown on espn 2 at 1AM Et.

I rest my case. So, In case you missed it the first time around:


This was written on Sundayd During St. Patty's Day Training.
The WBC, much maligned, much criticized has actually won over a couple of synics, myself nearly included. Imagine if we could only actually watch the games!!

In a media culture where ripping NBC's Olympic Covereage is so easy, even Dubyah could do it, ESPN had the chance to offer a better alternative, but has dropped the ball.
Not that it's ESPN's fault that this thing is taking place during March Madness, blame Bud for that, but ESPN played into that criticizm by choosing to tape delay these games, even though most of them are being played in a US timezone.

How cool would it have been if this afternoon, I could have flipped between the ACC Champ Game, and USA vs. Japan. I, like a growing number of americans have gladly embraced my TiVO or DVR. If I wanted to watch the damn thing at 8PM tonite, I could have chosen to do that. (and my way, I don't have to watch the commercials)

Just as with the Olympics, in this internet, cell phone crazed world, it is far too easy to know the score of these games as they're happening. and believe me, Baseball is one of the WORST games to watch when you already know the outcome. Sports Center is going to show you the best parts anyway, might as well watch Family Guy. So, to the sports divisions of all the Major Networks and ESPN, I join the people in saying: PUT AN END TO TAPE DELAYING GAMES!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home