Monday, August 22, 2005

A Strong Vote Of...... Contentment??

Every day, my first website after my Email is Cubs.Com. Not to see the score of the game they just lost, or to check the inevitable injury report, but to see if Dusty has been fired yet. While that hasn't happened, I'm going to take the article on McPhail as a glass-half-full situation and say that the writing is on the wall. While there may not be a chance that the Cubs will outright fire Dusty, i'd think they'd be hardpressed to say "No" if anyone sought permission to speak with him.

Probably the telltale line in the article was

----

Once injuries are off the table, dissatisfaction with a team perceived to be underachieving begs the question of the job security of MacPhail's top generals, general manager Jim Hendry and manager Dusty Baker, and while the rumor mill spins at this time of year, MacPhail gave each a vote of "contentment," while saving his confidence for the organizational game plan.

"I am very content with Jim, and I know he's very content with Dusty," MacPhail said. "I'm confident we're going to put it together. I'm confident that the formula is going to get us there, and despite having what appears now to be a hovering-around-.500 year, I'm still confident we're going in the right direction."

I'm not sure what Content means, but it sounds to me like its less than confident and a lot less than "Happy". If the cubs finish this year under .500 even by one game, McPhail's contentment should quickly change to discontent, and Pink Slips should be handed out all around the office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home